Log in

No account? Create an account
Five with key

shivver13 in dw_britglish

A few questions

Hi there! I have a few questions about British language, customs, and geography for some fanfics I'm working on that I hope you can answer. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

1. I'm really fuzzy on the British school system and how grades (years) are referred to. I have a character saying that she's known another character since the year of school in which they were around 12-13 years old. In America, that would be 6th or 7th grade. What would it be for a British student?

2. If you're moving from one town to another and paying a company to move your belongings and furniture, what do you refer to them as? And what kind of vehicle would the items be moved in? In America, we'd call them movers, and they usually use a semi to move multiple clients' belongings in bulk, but it doesn't seem like Britain has semis. (I can't imagine they'd be able to navigate the narrow roads.)

3. Is there a somewhat posh neighborhood near Chiswick that I can locate a family? The family is not super rich, but both parents work and have good jobs - definitely upper middle class. Even if there isn't a named neighborhood, a location would be helpful, so I can look on Google Earth to get a feel for what the buildings and houses look like.

4. Is a "flat" an apartment, meaning a single residence in a building of multiple single residence? Or does the term have multiple meanings? For example, in America, when a person refers to his "flat", it could mean a house - in this sense, it simply means "where I live".

5. When I was in Britain last year, I noticed that a lot of the towns had houses that were individual residences, usually two floors, all connected together in a long row. What is that type of house called? Row house?



On 2, a traditional removal lorry isn't an artic, but a pantechnicon


Edited at 2015-04-09 07:39 pm (UTC)
This is a typical modern one. That's a nationwide chain, but there are lots of local ones (who also do nationwide moves). This is one - they have an articulated lorry, though I agree that's more unusal: http://www.wardremovals.co.uk/

Edited at 2015-04-09 08:17 pm (UTC)
Thank you so much for the images! They helped quite a bit! This is exactly what I was looking for. The removal vans are smaller (shorter) than the trucks that moving companies in the US use, probably because in general, our streets are wider, even in the residential areas.
Also you need space to park the lorry, and with houses being smaller, most people's furniture and stuff fits into one standard lorry, maybe two for a large family house.

Moving within London can involve trying to get parking permits for movers, usually failing, then parking in a space yourselves and/or using dustbins to reserve space, and persuading new neighbours at the other end to do the same for you, in order than the movers don't need to be 50 yards down the street.
Oh, dear, what a mess! Well, the character needing the lorry is a single male, so it'll be a standard lorry. I'll let the removal people deal with the parking situation off-stage. :)