Log in

Five with key

shivver13 in dw_britglish

A few questions

Hi there! I have a few questions about British language, customs, and geography for some fanfics I'm working on that I hope you can answer. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

1. I'm really fuzzy on the British school system and how grades (years) are referred to. I have a character saying that she's known another character since the year of school in which they were around 12-13 years old. In America, that would be 6th or 7th grade. What would it be for a British student?

2. If you're moving from one town to another and paying a company to move your belongings and furniture, what do you refer to them as? And what kind of vehicle would the items be moved in? In America, we'd call them movers, and they usually use a semi to move multiple clients' belongings in bulk, but it doesn't seem like Britain has semis. (I can't imagine they'd be able to navigate the narrow roads.)

3. Is there a somewhat posh neighborhood near Chiswick that I can locate a family? The family is not super rich, but both parents work and have good jobs - definitely upper middle class. Even if there isn't a named neighborhood, a location would be helpful, so I can look on Google Earth to get a feel for what the buildings and houses look like.

4. Is a "flat" an apartment, meaning a single residence in a building of multiple single residence? Or does the term have multiple meanings? For example, in America, when a person refers to his "flat", it could mean a house - in this sense, it simply means "where I live".

5. When I was in Britain last year, I noticed that a lot of the towns had houses that were individual residences, usually two floors, all connected together in a long row. What is that type of house called? Row house?



2. Firm of removers in their Removal van/lorry. Generally a fair sized articulated lorry and a couple of lifters to help shift and pack furniture. It's possible to hire a van oneself and do a DIY job.

3. Parts of Chiwick are pretty posh! If they have serious money, by the river. River-front housing ups the price like crazy! Nearby are Barnes, Kew [famous for the large botanical gardens] and Richmond upon Thames [housing there = $$$$!!!].

4. It's a block [if tall, a tower block] of flats. A flat = an apartment, pretty much.

5. I live in one of those! That would be a terrace. If the terrace is curved and tending to Georgian, a crescent [puts up the price!]. Sometimes four terraces are built to form a square [quite a few of those in London]. Here is part of one side of the famous Berkeley Square [https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608028826883918350&pid=15.1&P=0 ].

I think I will go with Chiswick. From Google Earth, it looks nice, with lots of terraced houses that look posh.