Log in


abelina in dw_britglish

What is the word for this item of clothing


How would Rose refer to the zippered shirt she is wearing in the Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit?  I would probably call it a hoodie even though it doesn't have a hood.  Is there a better Britglish word?


Looks like a jacket to me. (That is, I read it as outerwear, not some kind of shirt or a sweatshirt-y-thing like a hoodie.)

Edited at 2014-02-10 11:38 pm (UTC)
*smacks forehead* Oh my. That was so obviously the answer I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. Thanks! It does look like more of a jacket than a sweatshirty thing, but I just couldn't quite get to that thought independently, apparently!
Glad it makes sense!
Jacket, probably.

One quick note - "shirt", in British English (my British English, anyway - others may disagree) refers to a garment with a collar and buttons on the front (what I think is generally called a "button-down" or "Oxford shirt" in US English). The generic term for an item of clothing worn on the top half of the body is a "top". Rose is definitely not wearing something that could be described as a shirt, by any stretch of the imagination.
Thanks for that. i've always been puzzled by references in fic to "Oxford shirts" or "button-down"... I wondered if there were some little Oxford crest over the breast pocket or some such, or that the collar had those tiny little buttonholes in the points.

Now I know they just mean shirts.
The "Oxford" part refers to the type of weave of the cloth!
Ah! Thanks! Learning something new every day!

Haha, me too. I always assumed that a "button-down" shirt was one that had a button-down collar!
So did I :D
Thanks for that! This is very good information to have. I glean a lot from reading fic written by British authors, but there are so many differences between Canadian and British English that I remain unaware of. Ideally I would like to be as properly british in my terminology as possible, but it's difficult!
So US-English "button-down" shirt is just what we call "a shirt"? (That's not what I thought it meant at all!) Do they reserve "Oxford shirt" as we do (or is just me?) for ones with those tiny buttons on the collar and that special cotton drill material?

And yes, I agree that's outerwear Rose has on, and it's a top rather than a shirt. I wouldn't call it a jacket unless it was a little more loose-fitting.
Buttondown is not used the same by every American. I think different regions and even age groups would have their own spin on what the term describes. For me, a 64 year-old mid-westerner, it would be used to describe a shirt that buttons all the way down the front, and that would be appropriate for business wear or to be worn with a suit and possible a tie. All the shirts on this page would be 'button-downs'. http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-dress-shirts/-/N-fzl

Most 'oxford' shirts are buttondowns, but most buttondowns are not necessarily oxfords. To me it means a fabric that is crosswoven from a solid colored thread and a white thread.
This process produces a softer colored shirt that is be more appropriate for business wear than a more intense color might be. These are examples of oxford shirts. http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-tailored-fit-solid-no-iron-supima-oxford-dress-shirt/id_233704
Probably 'jacket'. Maybe 'top' or even 'blouse'.
I think I'd go with "fleece" for that type of jacket.
Really? It doesn't look like a fleece at all to me - the texture's all wrong.