Log in


timelord1 in dw_britglish

Another picture question!

What would you call this? In the states, it's a merry-go-round. Maybe it's the same thing, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you!! :)


I'd call it a roundabout. This is what I'd call a merry-go-round.
Seconding roundabout
Thank you both!!! :) Roundabout it is!!!
Seconding both your points here.
Just out of curiosity, is 'carousel' used at all for what you call a merry-go-round? I'd use them interchangeably (in southern US dialect).
It is... but generally more in the titles of rides ("Bloggs' Wonderful Carousel Ride" or whatever) than in colloquial speech. (I live in Worcestershire, in case that's regional.)
I'd understand it but wouldn't use it. In fact, thinking about it, I might well call a merry-go-round a roundabout in conversation unless I needed to distinguish between that and the playground sort!
I would call them gallopers, and if that wasn't understood by the person I'm talking to then I would clarify with carousel. I'm from the East Midlands, with parents from the South.